What is NEMScan?
NEMScan is a structured process for actively reviewing market and regulatory changes in the National Electricity Market.
The National Electricity Market (NEM) is in a period of transition as thermal generation retires and energy users’ behaviours change. This transition is driving significant changes to the regulation, policies, and procedures that govern how assets connect to and operate in the NEM.
The Clutch Strategic team has observed that market participants across Australia are finding it challenging to effectively monitor and consider the impacts of market changes. Tracking changes and promptly taking action is a key opportunity for participants to maximise value in the competitive market today.
Tracking changes and promptly taking action is a key opportunity for participants to maximise value in the competitive market today. NEMScan involves three key phases:
- Delivering a structured methodology for identifying and communicating changes. Clutch has developed a structured process for actively reviewing market and regulatory changes on a fortnightly basis. Additional to this structured approach, Clutch passively monitors many sources of information meaning that changes can be identified promptly.
Contextualise Changes to Your Teams (operational, corporate and/or project development teams). Clutch uses its experience in connecting projects and gained knowledge of our client’s strategy to provide a high level assessment of the risks/opportunities posed by changes identified and contextualise the potential impacts.
- Defining Actions. Using the high-level assessment of the changes, Clutch recommends an appropriate course of action (e.g. investigate further, track, actively participate, assess strategy).
Core Focus Areas
Clutch monitors an extensive range of sources including:
- Policy Direction – COAG Energy Council Market Reform and State; and Cth Government Policy / Strategy
- Electricity Law – Australian National Energy Law, Rules and Regulation; Rule Change Projects; and AEMC, AER Guidelines
- Process, Network Development and Operations – Network Operational and Planning Documents; AEMO Processes / Procedures / Forms; TNSP Processes / Procedures / Forms; Licensing Authorities Processes / Procedures / Forms; and ISP Project Updates
Clutch has a thorough methodology to ensure you receive updates in a timely manner:
Clutch has developed a streamlined report format to succinctly summarise changes identified.
- Increased awareness of key market changes within your team. Focussed review unimpacted by your team workload.
- Utilise the experience of the Clutch team to assess impacts on Network Connection.
- Increased efficiency in identifying and communicating changes to your team (consolidated list). Reduced team distraction through minimising ad-hoc reviews by multiple personnel.
- Support prompt issue actioning of the changes identified.
Download the NEMScan Brochure
To download the NEMScan Brochure – click here
For Further Information
Please contact the Clutch Strategic Team – click here